Thursday, May 6, 2010

hello, again

I'm posting after such a long time! A lot of things have happened in the interim, but obviously. Right now, though, my focus is on getting admitted into any one of five awesome programmes in five awesome universities. Wish me luck!

I just finished The Handmaid's Tale. I'd wanted to read it for a long time, and, well, I finally did. I liked it. It wasn't very convincing (a. it's impossible to imagine such a low population; b. it's impossible to imagine a near-complete lack of open dissent; c. it's impossible to imagine things changing so drastically so quickly - I mean Offred is only 33 and she has lived a normal (pre-dystopian) adult life. is it even possible to cow down and adjust so quickly?; d. it's impossible to imagine it happening in the US. Maybe in an out-of-the-spotlight country somewhere in a forgotten area of the world, maybe even a small country in Europe, but not in the US).

But, still, it was good. It was quite effective in showing what could happen, if it were allowed to, if all of society was asleep at the wheel. And, after all, that's what Margaret Atwood intended to do, take the present set of beliefs to their logical conclusions.

And, guess what. It's strengthened my belief that we're all headed toward a totalitarian system in the not-very-far future. I mean, think about it: an exploding population. And severely limited resources. How will we manage? Unless rules are put in place, regarding who gets how much of what and when. A control. And then it's a slippery slope into a completely controlled and impeccably structured social and political system. Democracy, schmemocracy. Unless we colonise other planets, of course. And use their resources. Otherwise, I can't see how all of us, and our countless children, can be happy and well-fed on this planet in the future. While remaining free.

I relayed this theory to my father. And he said, "Don't be ridiculous. Humans will find a way." But this is a way. Just not the most welcome one. It would be touted as 'practical'. During times of severe rationing, throughout history, what has always happened?

Yeah...

Egad! Tis easier to just focus on my university application. To ward off the pessimism.

No comments: